Thursday, September 24, 2009

The Garibaldi Times - Issue #1





Alan Forsythe is a newspaper publisher friend of mine in Squamish.  I worked with him on his first paper, the Sea to Sky News, which met a sad end at the hands of our corporate newspaper overlords.  A couple of days ago, he called me up and asked me to shoot pictures for his new Squamish paper, the Garibaldi Times, and if I could do it that Tuesday, as the first edition was coming out Thursday.

It was a pretty good first shift, as I was driving down the highway past the Chief climbing lookout, I saw a group of people looking up with worried expressions on their faces.  I pulled off the road, grabbed my cameras, and ran over, thinking that a climber was stranded on the cliff face.  I looked up and saw a tiny figure throw itself off the top of the mountain and realized it was a group of BASE jumper flying off the 1800' Squamish Chief.  That made for way more interesting cover than Alan's idea of a feature on the under funding of the boat canal dredging.  After that we were invited to a bonfire on the Squamish water front, where our friends wished us good luck on the paper, and welcomed us back to the newspaper world.  I think I'm going to enjoy this.

Tech Stuff:
Top
Camera:  Nikon D700
Lens:  Nikon 17-35mm AF-S f/2.8

Lower
Camera:  Nikon D2x
Lens:  Nikon 70-200mm AF-S  f/2.8

No comments:

Post a Comment