Thursday, September 9, 2010

Vancouver Fringe Festival


Here's is a shot of Vancouver Fringe Festival Executive Director David Jordan I did for the Urban Pie magazine in Vancouver. The Fringe is the annual alternate theatre festival in Vancouver, and is home to some off the wall stuff, so we really wanted to get something crazy looking. We started in the festival office (seen in the background of the photo), but it really wasn't working so well. I thought the building looked cool, so we moved outside for a couple of shots. There were some parked cars that I couldn't get out of the frame, so David offered to climb up on a big bollard,and with a couple of rubber chickens grabbed off someone's desk, it all came together.

I was really busy with commercial work that week, so I called Pie publisher Alan Forsythe and told him "I can shoot anything you want, but I have to do it after 7:00". He called me back an hour later said, "we're all set to go at 4:30". As a result, I had to go tearing down to Vancouver and barely made the shoot, with only about 15 minutes to spare. Not having time to set up my regular studio lights, I jammed an SB-900 flash into a softbox, and hoped for the best. I think it worked pretty well.

Tech Stuff
Camera: Nikon D700
Lens: Nikon AF-S 17-35mm f/2.8
Lighting: Nikon SB-900, mounted in a 22x16" softbox, controlled by an SU-800 flash controller.

No comments:

Post a Comment