Friday, September 17, 2010

Sheri and Justin at Tantalus View Retreat


Sheri and Justin are a nice young couple from Grande Prairie Alberta who came down for a holiday by the mountains and oceans of BC. They booked a cabin in the Tantalus View Retreat, a really out of the way spot between Squamish and Whistler which is so low key that after 20 years of driving past the turnoff for it, I had no idea it was there.








The owner of the retreat makes beautiful wooden furniture, and has a big shed packed with interesting pieces of wood he's collected. I thought it would make a really cool photo. Getting the photo umbrella for the flash in there was a real chore, but the result was totally worth it.

Bungee Jumping Video
They decided to go bungee jumping as way to finish off the day. I go a few photos, but it's not my specialty. While I was putting the DVD slideshow together, I speeded up the sequence of them jumping, and I thought it turned out pretty well.

Tech Stuff:
One of the nice things about doing weddings with just the couple is that you can take a little extra time to try things that you wouldn't during a larger wedding with a a tight timeline. Nikon has just come out with a new 85mm f/1.4 lens that everyone is raving about. I've got an 85mm f/1.8 that I bought in the early 90's that's a pretty cool lens. Normally I just use it for working in the studio, but I decided to try some shots with it at this wedding, full open at f/1.8. I have to say that it's not as sharp as the big zooms I use, but the super shallow depth of field is a great look. The first two lenses in the blog are shot with the 85mm.

Camera: Nikon D700
Lenses: Nikon AF-S 28-70mm f/2.8, Nikon 85mm f/1.8

1 comment: