Monday, November 23, 2009

South African Military Museum


I was driving around looking for the Apartheid Museum, and came across the South African Military History Museum. I figured they'd be able to give me directions, I stopped in to ask, and found that some history buffs were holding an Angolan War re-enactment. The South Africans fought a war there in the 70's and 80's against the local rebels, and their Cuban advisors. Several of my cousins and family friends fought in it, and if I'd been still in South Africa when I reached draft age, I would have fought there too, which is something I've been thinking about a lot lately.

The older guys in the photos are real veterans, and the younger guys are mostly their kids, there to get a taste of the old days.





The guns are de-activated, but still really scary looking.

No comments:

Post a Comment