Monday, November 9, 2009

Back to South Africa


I finally made it back to South Africa.  Three back to back plane rides, 36 hours of travelling.  The first thing my family did was throw me a traditional South African barbecue, or "Braai".  It's a huge grill up of sausages, boerwors, ribs, and corn.  I haven't eaten this much meat since the last time I was in South Africa.  I have another one to go to on Saturday at my sister's house.

I haven't been back since 1996, and I've since acquired a sister-in-law and two nephews who I've never met.  I've spent the last few days getting to know everyone, looking to find a cheap car, and cancelling my credit cards, as I managed to lose my wallet on the trip here.  Once everything gets set, I'll be hitting the road.


This guy is the local fruit seller that my Dad buys his avocados from.  Durbanites are particular about the local avo's, which are massive (those raisin like things in the lower left corner are supermarket avocados that you would get in Canada), very tasty, and grow naturally throughout the area.  While there are many large, very modern shopping malls thoughout South Africa, little guys like this still do a thriving trade.

No comments:

Post a Comment