Saturday, September 12, 2009

Pemberton Stock Car Races




All the motor heads in Pemberton got together and built themselves a combination Motorcross and Stock Car track. Tonight they were having an evening race, and some friends talked me into going.

It was a tricky thing to shoot, as the light was coming from a few rented light towers (the same thing you see road crews who work at night using), and they don't throw a lot of illumination. Only the corners were lit, and most of the light was on the corner where they head away from the spectators area. You can see in the lower photo that the crash barrier is just an old log laid at the edge of the track, which didn't instill a lot of confidence in the safety of making my way around to far side of the course. In the top photo, I waited for the cars to come into the little spot of light, which made for an interesting, while in the bottom image, I thought a back lit shot might look cool.

Tech Stuff:
I bought my D700 camera this summer hoping to try out it's famous low light capability, and ran straight into the hottest and brightest Summer in years. I finally had a situation where I could push the camera up to ISO 3200, which is the highest you can go without boosting the ISO (by comparison, my D2x doesn't even go to ISO 3200 in the boost mode).

Camera: Nikon D700
Lens: Nikon 70-200mm AF-S f/2.8

No comments:

Post a Comment