Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Fixerupper




I love shooting black and white landscape images, especially old derelict buildings. I'm always pulling off the road to grab a shot of some old ghost town. This is the boat house from the old Britannia Beach mine site that's halfway between Vancouver and Squamish, along the Sea to Sky Highway.

I started my newspaper career in the days of B&W film in darkrooms, making 8x10 prints in open chemical trays, which makes me a dinosaur among my peers. A big influence for me was Ansel Adams, who not only was an important artist, but also a brilliant photo technician who literally wrote the books (The Camera, The Negative, and The Print) that modern B&W printing is based on. I often think that if Adams was around today, he would be out of his darkroom and using multi Photoshop layers to do his work.

Tech Stuff:
I included the original, rather flat, colour image that came out of the camera as a good before and after view. I used several adjustment layers in Photoshop to apply varying levels of contrast to different parts of the shot.

Camera: Nikon D700
Lens: 70-200mm AF-s, f/2.8

No comments:

Post a Comment